Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day...I'll take it!





I thought that because my Blog is called Geo_Love, I should take a little time to talk about the biggest LOVE holiday as we know it today...Valentine's Day.

Valentine’s Day was originally named for a Christian martyr in the 400s, but there was no romantic connection before 1100. At that time it was courtly love, which didn’t mean it was related to marriage.

Romantic love factored into the equation at the time of writer Geoffrey Chaucer in the 1300s with The Canterbury Tales. http://www.librarius.com/

Buying flowers, candy and cards doesn’t really have much to do with Valentines.
Though it is commercialized, it does not mean that it is not authentic. Many traditions have become commercialized.

Holidays are like anything else that become important social rituals. Their origin becomes less important than what they actually mean.  Although our most popular holidays find their roots in religion, or the virtues of modesty, humility, family, and an appreciation of one another, we live in an age where these holidays have lost their once-special meaning and have become largely commercialized. While many holidays have simply been corrupted by big business, the impact hasn’t stopped there, and commercial interests have even gone on to manufacture holidays that are now simply referred to as “Hallmark Holidays”.

Personally I feel like I celebrate Valentine's day (todays meaning of the term) every day!  I am very lucky to be able to say that.  I feel the love from my husband, my kids, and all the important people in my life. On the other hand....I also like the fact that he feels he should go shopping and buy me something.  Yes I am a little selfish too! So what!?!  So I will accept all that he gives.  I also feel it is another way to show ALL of our loved ones how much we appreciate them!  We often do not let everyone know how much they mean to us on a day to day basis.  So you know what?  V-day is a good day to do just that!

Bottom line.....Valentine's Day.....I'll take it!!
***Let all the important people in your life know how much you love them!!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment